In the movie Forest Gump®, Tom Hanks said, “Life is like a box of chocolates.” No better time is that true, than this year! No one would have guessed the way 2020 turned out, however I believe I speak for all of us when I say we are looking forward to starting fresh in 2021! We have all learned many lessons through this worldwide-pandemic year and now have a better understanding of the way our lives will operate for the unforeseeable future. Fortunately, history tells us that as human beings we quickly adapt and grow to new environments, even through a pandemic.
Adaptations are also being made in the project management community. The industry is shifting from the basic project management activities to a holistic approach of implementing change. The Project Management Institute® has embraced these cultural shifts and is now including Agile and change management components in the certifications. After my 25 years in project management, it is exciting to finally see these additions become best practices!
As we look ahead, the Board has been working to line up more networking and professional development opportunities within our chapter and with other organizations in the community. We have also focused on increasing communication to the members and on social media. A few highlights of the years’ plan include:
- Chapter committee meetings continue in January 2021
- Virtual chapter meetings continue in February 2021
- Virtual Happy Hour Networking opportunities – Coffee Talks, Lunch & Learns, Social Happy Hours
- Collaboration with the Tallahassee Community College Performance Innovation Institute (TCC PII):
o Teach project management and related classes to TCC PII internal staff
o Mentor internal project managers and consult on projects and processes
- Partnering with the Institute for Nonprofit Innovation and Excellence (INIE)
- Provide opportunities for continued education and earning PDU’s
- Increasing awareness of Chapter social media sites:
o PMITLH Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/pmi.tallahassee
o PMITLH LinkedIn site https://www.linkedin.com/company/16227065/
o PMITLH Instagram site https://www.instagram.com/pmitlhchapter/
Karen Scott, PMP, MBA